Hi Lovelies! As you all know we just moved to NYC. With this move we downsized dramatically 3,000 sq. ft. house with a big garage, to a 1,100 sq. ft. apartment with NO garage. That’s a big jump, let me tell you. It took a lot of maneuvering on my part. I planned out every inch of our apartment to get everything to fit, from the living room to every bedroom. For this week, I want to talk about our downstairs organization ideas from closet space to coat racks. I’m also going to share some pictures of our apartment. Yay!! Here are my top small space organization ideas for your main living spaces.
1. Living Room Organization – I’m talking baskets and boxes. Containers with lids. There are so many options out there. I loved the vintage suitcase look but, unfortunately I didn’t really have a place for them. I went with baskets and leather bound fake books that I could stack and hold things in. The basket can be found here and all other decorations pictured are from Home Goods.
2. Entry Organization – I didn’t have space for everything I wanted so, my basket went in the closet and just my coat rack and sunglass rack were mounted. I found the coat rack at Home Goods and the sunglass rack is an easy DIY project. It was a simple picture frame with the glass removed, and a thin natural colored string stapled to the frame. That’s it. You could make it super cute with a little saying like “you are my sunshine” or whatever you would like. I wanted simple.
3. Kids Space Organization – I used a simple 6 space storage unit and filled 5 of the spaces with baskets (not pictured). Our storage unit is in a closet so, I didn’t care whether they matched or not. Ikea is another great place for kids storage. I picked up this rack and four baskets to hold all of their coloring supplies and it can be found here and here. The table is an IKEA hack, we created. I will share it in a few weeks.
4. Kitchen Organziation – The Container Store was my best friend here. They have a couple different shelf options to give you more space in your cupboards. I picked up the plate shelf, a spice rack and can organization shelving unit. This allowed me to get some organization in the limited cupboard space we have in our new home. Finally I added the under cupboard wine rack and paper towel racks to clear up counter space.
5. Decorative Organization – Finished off our living space with a bar cart. This holds all of our alcohol, glasses and it’s also a great way to bring color and style to our home.